Classroom Accomodations' Frequently Asked Question's

I received special education (IDEA) or 504 services in high school, how are these services different in college?

Colleges are required to provide any reasonable accommodation that may be necessary for equal access to education. They are not required to design special programs for students with disabilities or have Individualized Educational Plans (IEP’s).

I suspect I have a learning disability, can Disability Services conduct the assessment to provide a diagnosis?

Colleges are not required to conduct or provide testing or evaluations to determine if a student has a disability. The student is responsible for providing current documentation, and any additional testing to support the requested accommodations, if necessary.

How do the responsibilities of working with students with disabilities of Higher Education institutions differ from those of high schools?

The responsibilities towards students with disabilities in Higher Education institutions are very different from those of high schools. High schools are required under IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act) to identify the educational needs of students with a disability and provide a free and appropriate education.

This responsibility is not required of Higher Education institutions. Higher Education institutions are required to provide appropriate academic accommodations to ensure that a student with a disability is not discriminated against. The student is responsible for disclosing his or her disability to the institution and making specific accommodation requests.

What are the responsibilities of a student with a disability if he or she would like to receive accommodations?

A student with a disability is responsible for requesting accommodations through the Office of Special Populations. NTCC will not seek students out. A student with a disability is also responsible for providing acceptable documentation of his or her disability that supports the accommodation requests.