State Aid

The following state-sponsored programs are only available to students attending community colleges, technical colleges, and universities in Texas. They cannot be used out of state.


  • TPEG (Texas Public Educational Grant)
    Grants are made available to Texas students with demonstrated need. Grants vary depending on available funds. (Authorized by House Bill No. 668, 64th Legislature, 1975).
  • TEOG (Texas Opportunity Educational Grant): To receive this grant a person must enroll at least 1/2 time, be a resident of Texas, show need and not be eligible for an award through the original TEXAS Grant Program.
  • State Work-Study Program
    The State Work-Study Program provides part-time employment for U.S. citizens and permanent residents who are students and have a demonstrated financial need.  Students employed under this program are paid minimum wage and may work up to 20 hours per week (depending upon their allocation and class schedule). State work-study students are not eligible for fringe benefits such as holiday, vacation, or sick pay, and are paid an hourly rate at the end of each month.  A current list of state work-study jobs is available in the Financial Aid Office.

    To apply for these programs, a student must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid to the appropriate processing service.

Ask your financial aid office about other tuition and/or fee exemptions from the state of Texas or visit