About this position: This position is funded through the Texas Workforce Commission and overseen by the NTCC Adult Education and Literacy Department. ESL instruction is provided to persons who speak little or no English. Teachers must be able to prepare and upgrade students’ skills in listening and reading comprehension, speaking, and writing in conjunction with life skills and civics components to help students fully function in the community. Students 17 or older are eligible for ESL services. ESL classes are held at various locations throughout the service delivery area of Titus, Morris, Franklin, Camp, and Wood counties and are offered through in-person, remote, and/or online self-paced formats. Teachers must obtain 15 hours of professional development annually to be eligible for rehire the following program year.
- Bachelor’s degree required; teacher certification preferred.
- Complete 15 hours of professional development annually.
- Teach students skills in listening and reading comprehension, speaking, and writing in conjunction with life skills and civics components
- Help students improve their critical-thinking, problem-solving and communication skills.
- Keep confidential and thorough record of class activities
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills in English
- Proficient computer skills (including Microsoft Office, Internet and email)
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Possess initiative and organizational skills
- Demonstrate ability to work and communicate effectively with students of diverse ethnic, economic, and cultural background.